Tuesday 17 July 2012

Observatory Frame

So, finally got my frame finished and my rails fitted. I have just used sliding rollers and guide rails designed for sliding gates. Each roller should take approximately 300 Kg so 6 rollers is more than enough. I actually fitted the rails before brining the frame to the site and was a nail biting moment dropping it down on to the tracks, just hoping i hadnt made any mistakes with the measurements but it fitted on perfectly!

The whole frame is made from welded 40mm box section with the addition of a couple of braces on the apex that are 30mm angle bar that i will use to screw down the roofing pannels and also fit square section wooden rails to si that i have something to secure the internal ceiling panels to once i insulate it (cant be getting cold in the winter, that just wouldnt do at all).

Below is also a close up of the roller system that i fitted to the base of the frame. I addes the vertical brace to give a little extra strength because of how much i had weakened the frame by cutting out the space for the roller to fit in and the other horizontal brace is actually where i have my means of securing the frame to the ground. I sunk large concrete raw plugs and i will fit two M12 bolts into each corner which should be sufficient to secure the observatory in any strong winds.
Hopefully i will have another update shortly as i now have all the materials ready to start fitting the roof and walls (even after a slight SNAFU from the supplier for all my sheeting material)

No comments:

Post a Comment